neurotranscendence

…life on the synaptic firing range

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, United States

Bent but unbroken Southern California native seeks understanding, companionship, and resonance along and off the beaten path. Teresa plays well with others and makes every effort to perform to her potential. Usually. *processed in a facility that processes nuts and nut products

Friday, April 06, 2007

going offline, kinda


One of my primary goals here has been to exercise my writing voice after many years of sloth. After about 15 months in the blog business I feel ready to see what I can do in the long form. Some say my blog entries are already novel-length, but my longest post to date was only around 2,000 words, which would amount to approximately eight print pages. Most publishers are more amenable to novels in the neighborhood of 80,000 words, and truth told, they'd prefer that at least some of those words reference topics of more universal concern than my boob(s), my hair, my dog, my neuroses, etc. In fact, it would probably be best if I abstained from first-person pronouns completely, but that would be impossible for me.

So I've been writing lately, though I haven't so much been blogging, and I feel neglectful of my little blip on the Internet, so I thought I at least owed it a gone-fishin' sign to acknowledge my awareness of that neglect. All of this is not to say that I've retired to my study and please quiet the children as I mustn't be bothered. I'll still be posting here. I'm just freeing myself of blog guilt so that when I do post, I'm doing so for all the right reasons, up to and including my desire to talk about and your need to know about my boob(s), my hair, my dog, and my neuroses.

Until we chat again, be well.

15 Comments:

Blogger WenWhit said...

Hey, a short post! I knew you had it in you!

Relax, chica. Write here, write there, write everywhere. I'll be here, as always.

8:21 PM  
Blogger sporksforall said...

She is writing, I can attest to that. What she's writing is currently known only to her and her little jump drive.

Blog guilt is bad form, anyway.

9:03 AM  
Blogger xtina said...

Yay for growth! Yay Yay Yay!

Boo for guilt! Boo Boo Boooo!

Honestly though, I'm not sure why you'd think a publisher might eschew topics on which you write so entertainingly, wittily, and even poignantly. Not an easy feat to do given the topics you've worked with. What's more universal than boob(s), hair, dogs and neuroses?? ;)

Writing what you know (in a fresh voice) is honest. What more could one want from a writer?

I think you rock and I'm glad this is the reason I haven't sensed your presence on the INTERNET recently.

I'm already planning what to wear to your first book signing.

10:54 AM  
Blogger KMae said...

ahhhhh shucks.
okay.
but I like your subjects,
& I do love your writing.
so don't forget about us!

NO GUILT!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Gunfighter said...

You've been blogging about your boobs?

I miss everything!

Good luck with the writing...reading what I have read from your blog, I am sure that you will be a smash at it.

When you publish, I'd be happy to read (and purchase) whatever you put out.

Take care of yourself, and let good ol' Gunfighter know if you ever need anything.

Peace,

GF

9:14 AM  
Blogger weese said...

o sure take a break
while i continue to write
haiku endlessly

10:14 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Guilt is overrated.
Glad you're giving yours up.

I'll miss your boobs along with the rest of you. Don't be a stranger. :)

3:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I wish you luck and please do stop by and chat once in awhile, huh? We may want to buy your book when it's done. HA HA.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Nony said...

The lurker wishes you well ~~

12:40 PM  
Blogger Middle Girl said...

I'll keep checking in...looking forward to reading about whatever you choose to write about, whenever you choose to share.

Be well your own darn self.

2:48 PM  
Blogger glouie said...

"Write like the wind, cowgirl!"

(... assuming that the wind is a satisfied and talented writer, that is.)

Wishing you an endless supply of happy writing moments. And that's a sentiment that will hold even if you never let anyone read any of it.

(Oh, and don't expect _me_ to be publishing more any time soon. Be kind to my tiny blog experiment...)

G

10:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well if you leave me here, we must make time to visit more often.

Glad to hear you are still writing somewhere.

9:55 AM  
Blogger alice, uptown said...

Scout,

I'll miss your take on life, but if blogging charmed you back into writing in a longer form, then I'm happy for you. For myself, the blogging rate has slowed precipitously, but occasionally I do rouse myself. So, you know where to find me if you want.
all my best,

alice

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go, go, go find your voice my friend. But, honestly, if there is anything more important than boobs, hair, dogs, or neuroses, I'd like to know about it. For proof, just read Proust or Joyce (I'm sure you already have) for painstaking minutia that somehow translates into universal experience. Thanks for all your great blogs. See you later. I'll be checking once in a while. All my best... Hop

7:16 AM  
Blogger Nik said...

Okay that must have seemed a little weird. I have been reading your blog off and on for some time now. I have it saved in my faves and i just wanted you to know who i am.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home