neurotranscendence

…life on the synaptic firing range

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, United States

Bent but unbroken Southern California native seeks understanding, companionship, and resonance along and off the beaten path. Teresa plays well with others and makes every effort to perform to her potential. Usually. *processed in a facility that processes nuts and nut products

Friday, February 17, 2006

tagged

OK, so my partner tagged me to complete this survey, and while I’m not in the habit of doing everything she asks of me, this seems an easy enough way to please her. Maybe if I do this, she’ll agree to have Thai food this weekend. (She won’t. She dislikes Thai food, so she’ll probably bargain me down to Chinese food, which is what I’m actually gunning for. But had I started with Chinese food, she would have tried to bargain me down to Panda Express, which is far less appealing. For Thai food, I have to wait till she’s out of town, at which time I generally get too inert to leave the house and make myself oatmeal instead. So I seldom actually achieve Thai food. Do you see how difficult it is being me?)

Four jobs I’ve had:
a) Waiter (That’s lead waiter to you, buddy!)
b) Purchasing manager at an independent record store
c) Copywriter
d) Copy editor

Four movies I could watch over and over

This is like asking me to choose four favorites from among my unborn children, or just four kinds of salad dressing (if pressed: blue cheese, bleu cheese, fromage bleu, queso azul). It’s very stressful, because, as regular reader(s) of this blog already know, I have trouble choosing a loaf of bread at the g store. Besides which, there’s a temptation to get all highfalutin and artsy to try and convince people that I’m complicated, and not just in a mental-health kind of way. Fine, whatever, here goes:

a) Sunset Boulevard
b) Quadrophenia
c) What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
d) The Philadelphia Story

Four places I’ve lived

Here’s where my colorful and varied past shines!

a) Long Beach, Calif. (my birthplace)
b) Garden Grove, Calif. (the OC!)
c) West Hollywood, Calif.
d) Van Nuys, Calif.

Four television shows I love

"Oh, I don’t own a television," she says disdainfully.

Ha! People who say they don’t own televisions are precisely the people who will housesit for you and soak up your 180 satellite channels like a crack addict on a post-rehab binge. Here are my ever-changing current faves:

a) Project Runway
b) House
c) Intervention
d) Rebuilt: The Human Body Shop (If you haven’t seen this new Discovery Health channel show about the staff and clientele of a high-tech prosthetics lab, check it out. It is at once fascinating and inspiring.)

Four places I’ve vacationed:
a) Yellowstone National Park
b) The Grand Strand, South Carolina (annual gig with the in-laws)
c) Cornwall
d) Belgium (headquarters of my family’s 1992 Great Bowling Alleys of Europe tour)

Four favorite dishes:
a) Coffee (That’s not a dish?)
b) Spicy string beans
c) Dark chocolate (That’s a dish, right?)
d) A bowl of stuff from Chipotle

Four sites I visit daily:
a) Salon
b) Dooce.com
c) Whatever (on fire)—my partner’s blog
d) The forums at DBSA (Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance)

Four places I’d rather be:
a) At home
b) On my bike
c) Walking barefoot anywhere an ocean licks the shore
d) On a massage table

Four books I love

Again, this is a mean and stress-inducing question:

a) “Dreaming: Hard Luck and Good Times in America” by Carolyn See (my creative-writing mentor’s memoir)
b) “High Fidelity” by Nick Hornby
c) “Interpreter of Maladies” by Jhumpa Lahiri
d) “Cloudstreet” by Tim Winton

Four albums I can’t live without

OK, this one was initially “four video games I play,” but I don’t play any, and I was surprised there wasn’t a music question, so I’m having my way with this silly survey:

a) “The Walking”—Jane Siberrry
b) “Quadrophenia”—The Who
c) “Traffic From Paradise”—Rickie Lee Jones
d) “Eveningland”—Hem

Four bloggers I'm tagging:

Hmm, I don’t really know any bloggers except the one who tagged me, and those she’s already tagged, but wouldn’t it be funny if I tagged her back? Then we could just toss the potato back and forth, and each time we were tagged we’d have to answer the survey differently. Then we could be really self-indulgent, as if blogging isn’t already incredibly self-indulgent, and get all of our favorite movies and books and CDs out of our system, because it’s oh, so important that everyone understands how very diverse and complicated we are. For instance, I didn’t list any jazz CDs, so you don’t know how very much I like jazz and am therefore somehow cooler than people who do not like jazz. And that’s a shame, really, your not knowing that about me.

I do know one would-be blogger I can tag, hoping to spur her to action in her blog-in-potentia, which will be amazing when it evolves from its current zygote state. Grrrly Librarian, you are so tagged!

4 Comments:

Blogger Slangred said...

Niiice. Maybe we can use each other's comment spots to add stuff we couldn't squeeze into the four-only answer format of our surveys. I like the upgrade from video games to CDs. I don't have favorites, but I'll tell you (and this doesn't make me even close to cool!), the lady jazz singers are my very favorites. Sarah Vaughn, Anita O'Day, and Dina Washington (especially her little curls and growls) come to mind for me. And, yes, I think it's very funny indeed you tagged me on the day I finally gave laborious birth (after 2 hours) to my first weak blog post. We're watching carefully and hoping she'll be breathing on her own and gaining weight over the next few days...

1:28 PM  
Blogger Slangred said...

Oops, that's Sarah Vaughan. Lost what little cred I had.

9:23 AM  
Blogger bryduck said...

Well, you could live in the restaurant desert that slangred and I inhabit, where there aren't any good Thai or Chinese places. Would that make you feel any better?

1:34 PM  
Blogger sporksforall said...

And then I HAD Thai food for lunch on the very day she wrote this. I am SUCH a bad partner. Also I've never seen Quadrophenia. So bad.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home